Flies are sort of an unavoidable nuisance in our home, they become more irritating during the summers. In summers flies can reproduce better and the fly larvae can get food in plenty along with adequate temperature to grow.
To get rid of flies in your homes you can take following steps. Before you begin, let me tell you that these tips or remedies are based on my personal experiences with flies. During the summers of 2014 we shifted to our new home and there we faced the worst fly infestation of my life.
The problem was so worst that each day we used to kill around 100 to 150 flies however the very next day the problem still persisted. Local authorities identified that there was a small creek nearby which was very much polluted because of industrial waste and this was the breeding ground for the flies.
I checked many online websites like this one, and found out that fly infestation is very much controllable like any other infestation. So, today I am going to share some of the methods that helped us to get rid of flies and hopefully these methods can help you too.
So, let’s get started.
- Using Light or UV traps: Flies and some other insects are very much attracted towards the UV or bright lights. These traps are made such that the light lures the flies and as soon as they try to come near the device they get killed by a powerful electric shock.
To use this device, keep it around 4-6 feet above the ground, position that trap such that its light is visible from a larger distance. Make sure that your children or pets don’t go near that area. And keep it turned on for the night. In the morning you will definitely find a lot of dead flies near the trap.
- Using fly paper: Using fly paper of fly tape is another simple and effective way to kill flies. Fly paper is simple to use and dispose and works very nicely to keeps these pesky bugs in control. Either you can make a fly paper at home or can purchase the fly papers available in the market (like TAT or Black Flag).
To use them you simply need to hang them in the infested. Also please ensure that do not hang the fly paper directly above the areas where you prepare or eat food as dead flies may sometimes drop off from the tape.
- Using Electronic fly swatters: electronic fly swatters can also prove to be beneficial while dealing with a lot of flies. Unlike traditional fly swatters you don’t have to wait for the fly to sit on a hard surface to swat it. Now, with these fly swatters you can swat these pesky pests right in the air.
Mostly these devices are safe it used with caution, just don’t let your kids or pets come near it.
- Using Pyrethrin based sprays: Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide that is extracted from plants it very effective in controlling a severe fly infestation. Just spray the pyrethrin fly sprays in the infested areas and see the flies dying instantly.
- Essential Oils to kill or Repel flies: Essential oils like lavender oil, Thyme Oil, clove oil, Geranium oil, lemongrass oil, and peppermint oil all have some insecticidal properties. Flies just hate their smell. They are effective and safe way to kill and repel flies.
To use this remedy simple put 7 – 10 drops of any one of the essential oil on a piece of cloth and keep the cloth in a tin can with few holes in the body and lid.